Sunday, June 27, 2010

How my daughter ended up wearing my old curtains.


Back of the curtain dress, originally uploaded by lil' women.

A real live Sound of Music moment meets desperately seeking mama. So I was trying to find some double layer gause to make this whimsical quilted bodice dress for my daughter. The problem is there is not much of a selection here as far a fabrics go, not saying that the selections we have are bad, you just can't find certain things in smaller cities. So with that being said, every place I went to told me to look online. I really wanted to stay local, because I am a big supporter of local business, but I knew if was going to get what I wanted I would have to probably search the internet.

I arrived at home feeling I had wasted a few hours running all over town, and then the thought hit me. I know I must have something laying around here that I could use. I dug through all my material finding nothing but the ordinary cottons I usually use. This had to be different, I wanted an old world look. Something you don't normally see. So I go to the linen closet/my husbands closet in the hall way, poor guy, and I find the perfect thing. A curtain I used a long time ago in a kitchen window. It was perfect! There it was the lone curtain , seemingly begging me to cut it up and use it for something else. So off I went with my curtain in hand and began to cut it up and stitch it onto some quilt batting that I had previously bought. The two married together perfectly and a day later I had a real live " A few of my favorite things" moment. My daugther loves the playful dress, and with the exception of the ceremonial first wash, you would think that they were stitched together.

I kept it old world looking by using safety pins instead of buttons and I left the bottom of both skirts unhemmed. What do you have in your closet that you could upcycle? Maybe it's an old sweater you know you will never wear again...make something out of it and if you don't then at least give it to a women's shelter and rid yourself of things you don't use.

Keepin' it simple, kass


Front of curtain dress

3 comments:

  1. The idea of recycling an old curtain into something wearable and fun is certainly appealing. I've never gotten past the dress-up box with my creativity. This is inspiring Kassie and I'm sure it is going to get more exciting as you keep putting your talents to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther, thank you so much for the encouragement. It really means alot to me. I so proud to be a part of the bigger picture if you know what I mean. I am doing just a small part, but it is still a part and I am so thankful for my husband for pushing me out of the boat and believing in me. God has great plans for us all and I am excited to see what He does next. He only wants a willing vessel...amen? You guys are the ones that are amazing...I am so encouraged by your whole family. You are very special to me Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish I had some of the curtains I grew up with. Naturally, I was far from fond of them as a child. But now...a whole 'nother story. I love this dress you've made your daughter - even more so given it's beginnings as a curtain.

    Looks like your creations at Nest are very sweet. I'm excited for you as you populate your etsy shop. I've been buying on etsy for years and love having my own shop now. My marketing effort is seriously lacking, but I suppose I am where I need to be right now with it all. I do love getting to "meet" people like you.

    ReplyDelete